Sometimes design ideas are simple: you have an idea, you draw it, and you’re good to go. Other times you have an idea, you draw it, and…you need to adjust it because it’s good but not quite right.
I am transitioning from making things for myself and my close friends into actually trying to make money selling things in the Society for Creative Anachronisms. I’ve worked for vendors in the past, so I have an idea of what to do: show up, bring a table, and display wares with price tags. Finally, it’s good to have a shop name and logo. Since I’m a Viking named Vedardottir, I thought a shop name with V’s would be fun. After playing with a lot of words, I decided to play with Veritasium, a bastardized Latin word for ‘Truth Serum’. I especially like the -ium ending, which is neutral case, instead of being male or female. (Yes, I studied Latin. I am over educated.)
Vedardottir’s Viking VeraStorium would have three Vs, like an inverted Valknut. Some neo-nazi groups use the Valknut as a symbol of hate, which meant I needed to modify it with more than shades of grey: this design can only be black and white.
Starting with outlines, I focused on the overlapping V shapes. The outline wasn’t quite correct, so I removed it in the next version. I tried to simply fill the three Vs, but without something to tie the design together as a whole, the last orientation looked boring.
Looking at the images above, I felt I needed to tie the knotwork overlap together. This element would need to have less visual weight then the Vs, so I decided it would need to be nothing but a white outline. Vikings are known for swords and axes, and a sword weaving between the Vs seemed the simplest solution. After several drawings of a Viking sword that didn’t seem to fit with the straight lines of the logo, I resorted to graph paper.
Building the sword into the design let it fade into a background image, instead of introducing jarring curves into a design of straight lines. Even when the design was filled, the white space around the handle seemed out of place. I added fill behind the handle, and the design solidified.
I dislike to use guess-and-check as a design process, but sometimes the only way to find the right solution is to try others. Each step of the process brought me closer to this outcome. I’ll take that as a Vivant-worthy Viking Victory!