Sekanjabmin is a Middle Eastern drink made by adding syrup to water. It combines sugar and vinegar to replace electrolytes lost through sweat. The first time I made sekanjabmin, I followed Cariadoc‘s drink recipe.
At Panteria last weekend, I had the privilege of trying a much more flavorful version of the drink. The bar owner gave me his recipe:
- Bring 4 cups of water to a simmer.
- Add 8 cups of sugar and bring the water to a boil.
- Add 1 cup white vinegar (apple cider vinegar is also good).
- Simmer the mixture just below a boil for 30 minutes.
- Add a handful of flavoring (orange, lime, or lemon zest and juice) and keep the mixture at a simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a container, cool, and serve.